MILESTONES OF AsIPA
From Lumko to AsIPA
- A Consultation was held in Kuala Lumpur where there was an evaluation of the courses and the name AsIPA emerged, meaning an Asian, Integral, Pastoral, Approach, in a joint meeting of FABC Office of Human Development, FABC Office of Laity, Bishop Oswald Hirmer and members of the Asian Lumko training team.
- Archbishop Angel Lagdameo (Philippines) was 2nd Chairman of FABC OLF
- Ms. Cora Mateo (Taiwan) was Exec. Secretary
Asian Laity Meeting
- Asian Laity Meeting in Korea was an occasion to produce materials that would follow the method of Lumko to address local issues and use a simpler format.
- This was the beginning of the AsIPA Texts. AsIPA texts were gradually evolving in the format as they are now, more contextualized, easy to translate.
- The goal of the Meeting was to find ways to popularize the Social Teachings of the Church.
First AsIPA General Assembly
- First AsIPA General Assembly made decision to organize national courses for basic training and international courses for the advanced training.
- An AsIPA Editorial Board was formed with Ms. Wendy Louis, Fr. Thomas Vijay, Ms. Estela Padilla and the Exec. Secretary to continue producing texts and to give courses. Guiding our process was Bishop Oswald Hirmer.
- We went to several countries in Asia to conduct training courses: India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, and Indonesia, where we were invited, to run national courses and later to assist the local teams.
- Translation of the materials also started during this period. (At present in more than 30 Asian languages).
2nd AsIPA General Assembly
- 2nd AsIPA General Assembly (Thailand) saw an exchange of locally produced materials coming from different countries and responding to local needs.
- The Editorial Board became the team to finalize the different modules as AsIPA texts, adapting the
Lumko materials and adding some original content.
3rd AsIPA General Assembly
3rd AsIPA General Assembly – became more and more an exchange among national and diocesan teams, and the Editorial Board became ART = AsIPA Resource Team with 9 members from 6 countries: India, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, and still expanding.
4th AsIPA General Assembly
4th AsIPA GA in India, with a good immersion experience in their SCCs. We were given a chance to see a different stage of development of SCCs which is able to help the people go beyond their church-intra and be concerned about social issues, about inter-religious dialogue… in the Archdiocese of Trivandrum with almost 2,000 SCCs.
5th AsIPA General Assembly
- 5th AsIPA GA in Davao City, Philippines, and there was a handover to the new Executive Secretary
for the AsIPA Desk – Ms. Wendy Louis. After 27 years, the FABC OLF office in Taiwan was closed and the AsIPA Desk, moved to Singapore.
- GA5 was an experience to be with participants using different methods to build SCCs. We were almost 250 participants a growth from the 26 that gathered for GA1 in Bangkok in 1996.
New Executive Secretary for AsIPA Desk
Bibiana Joo Hyun Ro was appointed the new Executive Secretary for AsIPA Desk
6th AsIPA General Assembly
6th AsIPA General Assembly in 2012 in Colombo, Sri Lanka
The Theme was meant to push us to develop more ministries within our SCCs to develop a greater sense of mission and service among our SCC leaders and members:
GO, YOU ARE SENT FORTH! FOLLOWING JESUS IN MISSION: SMALL CHRISTIAN COMMUNITIES SERVING AND MINISTERING
7 th AsIPA General Assembly
- Held in Thailand in 2015
- Highlighted the importance of DIALOGUE with neighbours of different faiths.